In response to the COVID-19 health issue, we are offering telehealth as well as in-person appointments. Click to learn more.

Pelvic floor weakness: Four myths

July 19, 2012

Awareness is sometimes 90 percent of our understanding. Yet it is that remaining 10 percent, what we don’t know, that colors our perceptions.

Consider pelvic floor weakness. Up until just a few years ago, many women never heard the term. But that does not mean the condition never existed, and thanks to medical attention and awareness campaigns, more women are seeking and getting treatment.

Pelvic floor weakness often results when the weight-bearing or stabilizing structures that keep the vagina and nearby organs in place weaken or deteriorate. Common causes include pregnancy, obesity, a hysterectomy or menopause.

These causes are pretty common, but the nature of the condition leads to many distressing misconceptions. So I decided to take on four of the biggest myths and dispel them.

  • Pelvic floor weakness occurs only in women who have had children: All women are susceptible and, for that matter, even men have pelvic floors and can experience pelvic floor spasm or pain. But it is true that women who have had children are more likely to experience pelvic floor weakness or prolapse.
  • Caesarean section deliveries prevent pelvic floor weakness: This is not necessarily true, since the cause of pelvic floor weakness or prolapse is associated with the added weight and pressure of carrying a child to full term. The actual mode of delivery is not proven to be a component or contributing factor.
  • There are no treatments: There are several was to treat pelvic floor weakness, both medically and holistically. Kegel exercises, for instance, may help to treat stress incontinence that results from pelvic floor weakness. If the patient suffers pelvic floor prolapse –usually a “tear” in the pelvic support resulting from pregnancy  — surgery or a pessary device can help to remedy the condition. Also, despite alternative treatments, pelvic mesh is still used frequently across the country because of its theoretical durability.
  • Your organs will “fall out”: One of the most worrisome symptoms of prolapse is that organs may fall out through the vagina. This is not the case. For instance, in bladder prolapse (cystocele), the back wall of the bladder may drop or bulge into (or even out of) the vagina, but the bladder will not fall out completely.

To learn more about pelvic floor weakness, visit our conditions page, which includes causes, symptoms and treatments of various forms of pelvic floor prolapse and weakness.

Recent Featured Blog Posts

  1. It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets a Kidney Stone

    Thirsty? Be sure to say ‘yes’ to that tall glass of water. It may save you from searing pain by the end of the summer. That’s because summer is peak season for kidney stones, hard little formations that develop in the kidneys when urinary minerals and salts crystallize and bind together. Often, stones aren’t even…

    Read More
  2. The Urology Group: Celebrating 25 Years

    In 1996, the medical world was entering a remarkable age of discovery: Dolly the sheep was cloned; a combination therapy treatment was discovered to manage HIV/AIDS; and Pfizer patented a revolutionary erectile dysfunction drug called Viagra. And in that same year, 25 years ago, 23 physicians from seven different urology practices joined to form The…

    Read More
  3. 6 Travel Tips for Those Experiencing OAB

    Here are six tips from Dr. Douglas Feeney for making it to the bathroom on time, whether you’re traveling locally or abroad this summer.

    Read More

Virtual Assistant

Virtual Assistant

How may I assist you today?

I need help with ‘Directions & Hours’
(Please select a location from the list below)
I need help with ‘ Billing Questions’
(Please select an option below)

I need help with ‘Billing Questions’

What number should I call to pay my bill?

If your bill is from The Urology Group, please call (513) 841-7474 to pay your bill.

If your bill is from The Urology Center, please call (513) 841-7475 to pay your bill.

I need help with ‘Making, Rescheduling or Confirming an Appointment’

If you would like us to call you to set up an appointment, please click here to request a call back.

If you would like to call us, please call
513-841-7400
to speak with a representative.
Our hours are:

Monday-Friday: 7:30am – 5:00pm

I need help with ‘Questions About Test Results’

please call us at:

513-841-7400

Our hours are:

Monday-Friday: 7:30am – 5:00pm

I need help with ‘Medication Refills’

please call us at:

513-841-7400

Our hours are:

Monday-Friday: 7:30am – 5:00pm

I need help with ‘Returning a Call from the Office’

please call us at:

513-841-7400

Our hours are:

Monday-Friday: 7:30am – 5:00pm

I need help with ‘A Copy of My Medical Records’

please call us at:

513-841-7400

Our hours are:

Monday-Friday: 7:30am – 5:00pm