We at The Urology Group are proud to recognize “Movember,” the annual month-long event with the goal of “changing the face” of men’s health, particularly regarding prostate and testicular cancer. To show our support and raise awareness of this effort, some of our own physicians are joining men around the world by growing moustaches during the month of November.
By increasing awareness, Movember aims to increase early cancer detection, diagnosis and effective treatment, and ultimately reduce the number of preventable deaths.
Twelve physicians from our group will be sporting facial hair this month in honor of Movember. You can track their progress here on our website!
Besides getting an annual check-up, the Movember Foundation encourages men to follow these steps to stay healthy:
- Know your family health history – heredity is powerful and the past can help illuminate your future.
- Exercise – 20-30 minutes of moderate physical activity daily-and next time take the stairs!
- Take action early – get regular check-ups, monitor your key numbers (weight, blood pressure, etc.) and share any concerns with your doctor concerns. Men over 50 should get an annual prostate cancer exam.
- Sleep well – the quality of your sleep impacts numerous functions, from metabolism to concentration to fighting off infections.
- Eat a healthy diet – fill up with fruits, vegetables and whole grains and choose healthy proteins like lean meats, poultry, fish and beans.
- Stay at a healthy weight – know your Body Mass Index (BMI) and waistline. Being overweight can increase the risk of chronic diseases from diabetes to certain cancers.